Monday, November 06, 2006

Go out and VOTE!!!

We the People, that is what the document says! Back in 1787 our forefathers developed a form of government that was different from any other in existence at the time, no king or queen. It was based on the governed and based upon representation. Not to say the document or the form of government was perfect, but it was a start!
It took 79 years before the process designated that you had to be a male of twenty-one years of age to vote. That was the fourteenth amendment. It was another two years before our government, through the governed, determined that voting rights were not to be denied based upon race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

In 1920, Women were finally given the right to vote. Can you imagine, eighty-six years ago women were not able to have representation in this not so perfect union? Based upon the input from the governed, it was changed. In 1971, the governed, through the twenty-sixth amendment lowered the voting age to eighteen.

Why the history lesson? Because none of these changes would have taken place if, We the People, hadn't become involved and made our voices heard. Participation. Active participation!!!

Please take your time to go and vote. Take your kids with you so they can see the process. This right, obligation, privilege, is what sets us apart from the rest of the world. Don't like the candidates? Go and write in a different name. But take the time to go. Find the polling place near you. Call others tonight and tomorrow. Get out and participate. Had We the People not been involved, actively participated, imagine what it could have been like.
I'm stepping down off of my soapbox now to go and get ready to vote.

Walt Wilson

If you are not sure where you need to go vote please go here .

1 comment:

Rosie said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I didn't know anyone was reading! I struggle with exercise. I started going to the gym in Jan. and I have really tried to go 3-5 times a week. Sometimes it doesn't happen with 4 children. I only have 1 at home during the day so I take him to the nursery at the gym and just go. I have found that I get more done if I shower while there instead of waiting till I get home. I just had to make it something that I did for me. I am starting to actually really miss it when I can't go, I guess that is a good sign! I often just leave the mess, it will still be there when I get home! Keep checking my blog, I might say something crazy!